Clinical Research and Good Practice Committee of SAFOG
Committee Chair - Prof Ganesh Dangal Sr Consultant at Kathmandu Model Hospital, Nepal
Co-chair - Dr. Indu Asanka Jayawardena, Senior Lecturer in the Dept of O & G in the Faculty of Medicine Colombo, Srilanka
|Dr Karishna Kumari
|Prof. Syeda Batool Mazhar
|Prof. Hemantha Dodampahala
Prof. Gehanath Baral
| Dr. Tanzeem Sabina Chowdhury
COVID was rampant all over the SAFOG countries and the situation is unpredictable. But with vaccination coverage, we can organize more activities; otherwise, it is limited. As most of the year is also likely to be shadowed by COVID-19 and restrictions of travel, we should concentrate on some online activities.
Planned Activities were:
- November-December 2021
What is good clinical practice? International online activity.
- March-April 2022
Research for busy Ob/Gyn.-National programme to be held in person.
- June-July 2022
How to do a trial (an RCT?) International programme.
- August-September 2022
Peer Review workshop (Joint NAME/NHRC/SAFOG)
- Submission to SAFOG newsletter & JSAFOG- manuscript/scientific write ups
The above-mentioned seminar was well attended. Overall, comments were positive and encouraging and there was high level content, relevance and highly educational- “Makes an impact on my practice”. First event from an entirely online platform- issues with connectivity, co-ordination, technical support and lessons learnt for improvements in a future event
Research Topic Suggestions
- Continue with a similar topic and theme to explore further
- RCT webinar
- In person national workshop- we may need to convert to hybrid or virtual platform.
- Treatment of PPH with carbetocin
- Research is needed to compare IV Carbetocin versus IM carbetocin for prophylaxis.
- Effect of IV & IM carbetocin Vs IM carbetocin in high-risk cases.
- Carbetocin and Tranexamic acid in high-risk cases for prophylaxis VS Carbetocin only.
- Comparison of suction versus balloon Tamponade for early management of PPH
For research collaboration, let us invite all stakeholders to submit proposals for research collaboration, mediating and facilitating research activities among the membership. Also, let us look at possible non-member collaborators we can harness in.
For research visibility, we should organize an online meeting where members can present their ongoing research activities for recognition, peer evaluation and possible collaboration. We can consider putting out an abstract book or supplement as well. We can organize Education and CPD related to research and scientific activities such as 3-4 webinars related to research and reviews with current practice relevance.
We do really hope that we see an end to these restrictions so that we can actually meet once again in person.
Prof Ganesh Dangal and Team